Fancy the idea of cat skiing in a small group? Say, yourself and only five other guests? Fancy skiing or boarding in steep, challenging terrain? Our Small Groups, Steep Chutes ski program might just be for you.
What is the Small Groups, Steep Chutes ski program?
Groups consist of a lead guide, a tail guide and 6 guests. The objective of this program is to ski the most interesting ski lines in the Mustang Powder tenure. Some of the runs will be couloir lines and others will be big, long runs that are not normally accessible by snowcat. The small group of 6 allows us to ski narrower and trickier lines that are difficult to fit a group of 12. Skiers and boarders will, on occasion, use climbing skins for a short or medium length tour to access a run’s entrance. This program is for strong, fit and ambitious skiers and boarders who want to ski steep and exciting runs. Weather conditions and snowpack stability will have a bearing on the run choice each day. If stormy weather or poor stability prevent us from skiing the bigger lines we will do a regular cat skiing day in the powder – but still with the smaller group of six.
Our Small Groups, Steep Chutes program is filling up fast. If you are interested in participating in the program this year please check the dates on our Availability page then contact us to make a booking. Group discounts are not available for this program.
Accommodation for Small Groups, Steep Chutes guests will be in single or double bedrooms with en suites.
All skiers and boarders participating in this program need to be experts and must be comfortable on steep terrain. You must also be in great physical shape as most days we will be climbing with skins for upwards of an hour at a time.
Just how much of our uphill ascents will be in the snowcat and how much on skins? This will vary each day but overall about 80% to 90% of the climbing will be the easy way – in the snowcat. This is a snowcat skiing trip with a bit of touring, rather than a touring trip with a few cat lifts. We will try to get as much skiing as possible each day. If you book yourself into the Small Groups, Steep Chutes program and are not strong enough or fit enough, you will be asked to sit out some of the runs and ride down in the snowcat in the more challenging terrain. In severe cases Mustang Powder reserves the right to pull you from the program with no refund.
What exactly do I need to bring?
- Skiers will require a ski touring set-up with skins. We have skis with touring bindings, skins and poles available to rent for $50/day if you do not own your own.
- Snowboarders will need to have a split board, climbing skins, and collapsible poles to participate in this program. We have found that snowshoes do not work for the climbs in this program. We have a limited number of split boards set-ups available (includes skins and collapsible poles) to rent for $50/day. If you will be renting from us, please let us know immediately so we have enough rental units. All boarders in this program should bring a regular (powder) snowboard in addition to their split board.
- Ski or snowboard boots (we do not rent these)
- Jacket: Gore-Tex or other waterproof, breathable ski jacket
- Pants: Gore-Tex or other waterproof, breathable ski pants
- Warm, breathable layers for underneath shells
- Light gloves
- Warm insulated gloves or mitts
- Sun hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Blister kit
- Recommended: Warm down or synthetic garment for underneath ski jacket (that you can remove for climbs)
- We will provide you with: an avalanche transceiver, a Mammut air bag (new this year!), a hand-held radio, and a shovel and probe